Shark patrols have increased following shark attacks
TWO fatal shark attacks within nine months have prompted South Australia to boost shark watches along Adelaide beaches this summer with more air patrols.Emergency Services Minister Carmel Zollo said today a rescue helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft would conduct patrols.
The helicopter will run from noon to 7pm (CST) on weekends and public holidays from November this year to March next year.
It will patrol the stretch of water from North Haven, in Adelaide's northern suburbs, to Goolwa, about 100km south of the city.
A fixed-wing aircraft also will patrol during the school holiday period from December 12 to January 30.
Ms Zollo said enhancing safety on Adelaide's beaches was a top priority.
"Adelaide's beaches are a major focus for summer holiday makers, especially during school holidays and the government understands that local and visiting families want to feel as safe as possible when they go to the beach," the minister said.
Marine biologist Jarrod Stehbens, 23, was taken by a shark last month while conducting research off Adelaide's Glenelg beach.
Surfboarder Nick Peterson, 18, was killed in December last year after being attacked by a Great White shark off nearby West Beach.
Earlier this month, surfer Jake Heron, 40, also was attacked by a Great White off South Australia's west coast but survived with wounds to a leg and arm.